beginning of a good thing
>> Wednesday, September 29, 2010
All (sleepy!) smiles in the picture. It was not a good picture of how we were all feeling. I wish I could say that I was bursting with excitement. I wasn't...and neither were they. But, we all put on a happy face and took our first day of school pictures!
This first day wasn't so bad. It was the second...and the third...and the first week that were really tough on these two. And their mama! Being away was a little harder than I imagined. I wanted to go and grab them and run away 100 times. But, we stayed positive and made it work. It really was the beginning of a great thing...we just didn't know it yet. Lots of prayers and deep breaths got us where we are today.
Davis is in Ms. Beth's private PreK room. They are doing the A-beka program which I love because it is christian based. He is learning a bible verse each week along with his 14 other peers. They are the absolute cutest class ever. Four boys and the rest little ladies! Jump ahead 7 weeks and the boy is in HEAVEN. Learning like crazy and making the sweetest little friends. He is so confident now and only needed his kissing hand for 2 weeks. Whew....that wasn't too bad. He walks in and out like a big boy and we have the pleasure of having outside time together. A solid hour that I get to watch him play, growl at the girls, receive hugs & kisses, and tell him that his nap will be short, and NO he doesn't have to sleep (his only anxiety right now- ha!). It has been a wonderful experience so far.
Carson began her school year in "Mommy Rita's" class. It was a young 2s class and it just wasn't the best fit for her. The teachers were amazing and loved her to the core, but she just didn't fit in. She was carrying her blankie around and crying A LOT. Made it very hard for her & her mama. Her famous words that she repeated 5 million times...."My mommy always come to get me, right??" "My mama will be wight back."
A few weeks ago, they suggested for her to move up to the 3 yr. old class. She walked right in that room and we have not seen a tear since. It's much more structured and I think she feels and acts more like a big girl. She loves school. Loves her friends and her "papers." She is able to leave froggie at school and now tends to cry when I pick her up because she wants to stay longer. We are now at a point where I can peak in on her and she just waves and says I love you, mama.
Oddly enough, I didn't have much of an adjustment period in my own classroom....I absolutely love it. Love the age level, the kids and parents, and this great classroom! It's HUGE! I've managed to be somewhat organized and out the door before 7:15 in the mornings. Shane leaves at the same time so we tag team quite nicely. This has been one of my favorite school years yet. I teach & play & really do the things that I love to do in the classroom. No testing and other nonsense that keeps you from educating the sweet students. Just good ole' fashion teaching- and it's wonderful. And, extremely nice to be able to see Davis & Carson. Go on their field trips and be there in case they need me.
Aren't they adorable??
1 comments:
loved reading this post. i'm so glad that Carson has found her place. what a blessing to have your kids love school and be able to peek in on them when you get a chance. soooo relieved to hear that you are enjoying the school year and don't regret your decision to go back to the classroom (with your kids in tow)
Post a Comment